This weekend hasn't gone quite as planned. The plan was to get into New York City on Friday, meet up with some friends, then cap off the weekend by running the NYC Marathon on Sunday. Unfortunately, the only part of that plan that came to fruition was getting into New York City on Friday.
As you may know, the NYC Marathon was cancelled on Friday. Considering the time and effort that went into training, having the marathon cancel at the last moment was a bit of a bummer. However, canceling the marathon was probably the right decision given the significant number of people in the NY/NJ area that are still suffering after FrankenStorm Sandy.
Since going home and moping about not being able to run doesn't include (1) running a marathon, or more importantly, (2) doing anything to help out those most affected by SuperStorm Sandy1, I've decided to create and participate in the first (and last) ever SuperStorm Sandy Disaster Relief New York City Marathon of Oakdale, CT2.
What is the SuperStorm Sandy Disaster Relief New York City Marathon of Oakdale, CT?
Good question. It's my way of still running a marathon on November 4, 2012 while also helping raise money for disaster relief efforts.
Who will be running?
Just me. My lovely wife will be the support staff, cheering section, course photographer, security, and everything else.
When and where is this happening?
- When: 8:00am EST, Sunday, November 4, 2012.
- Where: On backroads near my home in Oakdale, CT.
How does this help disaster relief?
We're donating the cost of the NYC Marathon entry fee ($255.00) to American Red Cross Disaster Relief.
Can we donate towards this cause in honor of the SuperStorm Sandy Disaster Relief New York City Marathon of Oakdale, CT?
Yes! Here's all you need to do:
- Visit the American Red Cross Disaster Relief Donation page.
- On the donation page, click the box for "Make this Donation in Honor of..." and fill in the following:
- In Honor Of: Disaster Relief NYC Marathon of Oakdale, CT
- Recipient Email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org
- The rest you can fill in however you'd like.
Also, please share this with all your friends and followers using your social network of choice.
How can I follow your progress?
Easy! There are bunches of ways:
- I'll be using Runkeeper Live, so if you visit my Runkeeper Activity Page while I am running, you should be able to see a live updating map with my progress.
- I'll also be sending automatic updates every few miles to my Twitter and Facebook feeds.
What's the route?
Here's a map of the route:
Find more Run in CT, United States
Feel free to come out and cheer me on!
What if no one donates?
Impossible! No, seriously: We're donating, so that's at least 2 people. If that's all we get, it'll still be totally worth it.